Short Story Excerpt: Borrowed Time

 

I wrote this story based on a couple I knew in real life many years ago. They were the perfect personification of the “Ken and Barbie power couple” of the 90s. Whatever image comes to mind when you hear that phrase is exactly who they were.

When I knew them, there came a time when they were on the outs, constantly fighting even in my presence. When I was alone with “Ken,” he would confide in me that he was absolutely certain “Barbie” was cheating on him. Even though he was sure of her infidelity, he couldn’t provide any justification.

Just like the protagonist in Borrowed Time, “Ken” said it was just a feeling, or a sense that something was off. I don’t know if Ken & Barbie ever split up. Who knows? They may have gotten married eventually. I like to think that’s what happened.

As for Borrowed Time, I can’t guarantee such a happy ending.

 

     Brent had never had much faith in the supernatural. He’d scoffed at self-proclaimed psychics more times than he cared to count. Now, as he lay there thinking about the past, he had to admit to himself that there might just be something to some of that hocus-pocus. After all, the entire ordeal had started with nothing more than a gut instinct. There had been no evidence; none at all. Nothing to make her seem anything less than honest. From there, it had nagged at him day and night until it had grown into a deeply seeded suspicion. It wasn’t until then -when he couldn’t ignore it any longer- that he’d even questioned her about it.

     "I went for a walk. That's all."

     "That's all?" Her all-too-simple answer threw him into such a blinding rage that he felt his arms tense and his legs quiver at the knees. Did she think he was that stupid? Too naive to know a blatantly obvious lie when he heard one? "You've been gone for a day and a half!"

     "I have not, Brent!"

     "Fine, maybe it was only a day. That's still far too long to be gone without so much as a phone call."

     "I didn't have my phone with me."

     "Bullshit! You always have your phone." He stopped himself; he really didn't give a monkey's ass about her phone. All he really wanted to know was where she'd been and what she'd been doing. "You were gone for at least twenty-four hours. What else have you been doing?"

     "Nothing." It was then that the tears started to flow so freely, soaking her face and dripping from her quivering chin. "I just went for a walk! I wanted to pick some wild flowers so I followed the trail into the woods."

     "And?"

     "And I got lost; turned around. I spent all night trying to find my way back."

     In addition to lasting more than an hour, the argument had served another purpose; it had further convinced him that she was keeping something from him. The issue hadn’t been resolved at all. Instead, they had both agreed to just drop it altogether. She’d made no admission of guilt that day, at least not consciously. He recalled that one request exactly as she’d said it and his memory even mimicked her voice just as perfectly.

     “Brent, can’t you just leave the past in the past?”

     He remembered how upset she’d been, too. The tears had come so freely that it had almost pushed her guilt onto him. He recalled thinking she was either a very good actress and those tears were just another part of her performance, or she really was the victim. The worst part -the absolute worst part- was that he knew deep down he’d probably never learn which one was true. That was why he’d finally decided the best thing to do would be to break it off with her. That was why he leered at her. Beneath that stare, he wished she would just get up, pack her things, and finally leave for good.

     “Brent, why do you keep staring at me like that? I told you I’ve done nothing wrong.”

     “Why are you still here? It’s over between us; I’ve made that much clear.”

     “It can’t be over.” Her eyes grew soft and red. “If there was no chance, I wouldn’t still love you as much as I do.”

     “Give me a fucking break, Kristen.”

     She rushed out of the room as though refusing to give him the satisfaction of seeing her cry. He was satisfied, anyway.

 

Experience all nine stories in Whispers From Hell: An Anthology of Horror & the Supernatural.

Follow these links to get your ebook or paperback copy:

Paperback:


Kindle:


Nook:






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Story Excerpt: For Everything, A Season

Short Story Excerpt: Princesses